I spent 4 1/2 days deep in the woods, and although I had cell phone service, I was pretty much off the grid the entire time. I had a wonderful and relaxing time -- it was a perfect way to ring in 2009. I learned a few things about myself while I was there:
- The caffeine from tea is enough to keep my coffee addiction under control when no coffee is available.
- If I could nap every day, I'd be a happy camper.
- I can live without indoor plumbing, at least for a short period of time.
- The relief you feel after visiting the outhouse in 5 degree weather at 7 in the morning far outweighs the benefits of the continued warmth under the blankets when your bladder feels like it's about to burst.
- I have learned to like gin, at least in cocktails.
- Making a New Year's Resolution to curse more is fun for everyone.
- I am happy that I have a habit of always bringing earplugs when I travel (there are some serious snorers out there).
- I make a kick-ass apple pie.
Some of the pictures are here -- the ones with people in them have been redacted to protect the identity of the monkeys, with whom I was very happy to spend my New Year's weekend.
PS -- Congrats to the bearded one for winning the Beard-Off!